This morning, I fucked up my SVN working copy while performing the following steps:
- Installed a new version of Intellij IDEA (upgrading from 11.0.1 to 11.1.1)
- Started the application directly from within the setup (“Run IDEA now”)
- Refreshed my incoming SVN changes
- Started upgrading my working copy
This is when IDEA crashed completely. I restarted it and it complained about a locked working copy and recommended an SVN cleanup. However this did not work so I resorted to the command-line. Using Cygwin on Windows 7, I got the following output:
$ svn cleanup svn: Can't remove file 'eps/src/main/java/ch/company/product/module/server/assemblers/media/.svn/tmp/entries': Permission denied
When I looked at the mentioned directory, I saw that some of the subdirectories were owned by the Administrator user account. So of course I changed ownership of all the files in my trunk back to my proper user account by performing the following:
- Start a Cygwin console with administrative privileges
- Change to the root of the working copy
- Execute the following command
chown.exe -R c.meury .
This solved my problem. Moral of the story: The IDEA installer should not start the application with administrative privileges; this looks like a serious deficiency.